Outline of the Gospel of John
- John’s purpose: That his readers believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and believing have life through His name (20:31).
- John’s biography: The disciple whom Jesus loved.
- John’s theological themes:
Theme: Reasons why we must believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God:
I. Prologue: Because He is the Word who became flesh (1:1-18).
II. Reasons why in anticipation of the hour (1:19-12:50)
- Because John the Baptist was His forerunner (1:19-28).
- Because He is the One whom the Spirit anointed (1:29-34).
- Because His disciples followed Him (1:35-51).
- Sign 1: Because He turned the water into wine (2:1-11).
- Because He was zealous for His Father’s house (2:12-25).
- Discourse 1 (Nicodemus): Because He was the gift of the Father’s love (3:1-21).
- Because He is the Bridegroom (3:22-36).
- Discourse 2 (Samaritan woman): Because He gives the water of life (4:1-42).
- Sign 2: Because He healed the nobleman’s son (4:43-54).
- Sign 3: Because He healed a lame man (5:1-15).
- Discourse 3 (Sonship): Because witnesses proved He is God’s Son (5:16-47).
- Sign 4: Because He fed 5000 with five loaves and two fish (6:1-15).
- Sign 5: Because He walked on water (6:16-21).
- Discourse 4 (Bread of Life): Because He is the Bread of Life (6:22-71).
- Because no man ever spoke like this man (7:1-53).
- Because no man ever forgave like this man (8:1-11).
- Discourse 5 (Light of the World): Because He is the Light of the World19).
- Because He is from above (8:21-30).
- Because He is before Abraham was (8:31-59).
- Sign 6: Because He healed a man born blind (9:1-11).
- Because He did not fear the Jews (9:12-41).
- Discourse 6 (Good Shepherd): Because He is the Good Shepherd (10:1-18).
- Because He gives His sheep eternal life (10:19-42).
- Sign and Discourse 7: Because He is the Resurrection and the Life (11:1-57).
III. Reasons why in preparation for the hour (12:1-50).
- Because He was prepared for burial (12:1-11).
- Because He entered triumphantly as King (12:12-19).
- Because Isaiah saw His glory (12:20-43).
- Because the Father had sent Him into the world (12:44-50).
IV. Reasons why once the hour had come – Farewell Discourse (13:1-17:26).
- Because He loved His own unto the end (13:1-11).
- Because He taught His disciples to love one another (13:12-38).
- Because He promised to return (14:1-12).
- Because He answers prayer (14:13-15).
- Because He promised another Comforter (14:16-26).
- Because He gives His disciples peace (14:27-31).
- Because He is the True Vine (15:1-17).
- Because the world hates Him (15:18-16:3).
- Because He commissioned the Comforter (16:4-15).
- Because He turns weeping into rejoicing (16:16-33).
- Because He prays for His own (17:1-26).
V. Reasons why once the hour had come – Passion and Resurrection (18:1-21:25).
- Because He took the cup given to Him by the Father (18:1-11).
- Because He foresaw Peter’s denial (18:12-27).
- Because He rules a kingdom not of this world (18:28-40).
- Because no man had power over Him (19:1-16).
- Because His death fulfilled Scripture’s prophecy (19:17-37).
- Because He was buried having died (19:38-42).
- Because He arose having died (20:1-18).
- Because He assembles with His disciples on Sunday (20:19-31).
- Because He provides a catch for His fishermen (21:1-25).
Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday